Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day, Chocolate Turtles!

a warning: you will be referred to as chocolate turtles for the remainder of the post. it was necessary to fit both "happy valentine's day" and chocolate turtles in the post title and i couldn't see any other way around it. so there. 

I have a sentimental fondness for chocolate turtles. We won't go into the why right now but I do and this Valentine's Day I incorporated them into my valentines. This recipes is so simple you won't believe it. And even I, with my customary demands for precision in cooking, did away with all measurements. Turtles completed, I wrapped them in brown paper, twine and washi tape. Voila.

CHOCOLATE TURTLES
pecans or walnuts
caramels
chocolate chips
flake sea salt

Cover a baking sheet with wax paper. Generously butter wax paper. I 'm talking serious butter. Never underestimate the stickiness of caramel.

Arrange pecans or walnuts (I used some of both) in a snowflake or turtle (duh) pattern on the baking sheet.

Melt caramels and spoon on top of each, being sure to have some on each nut so they stick together. Let set.

Melt chocolate chips and spoon on top of caramel topped nut clusters.

Sprinkle with flake sea salt.

Allow to set completely at room temperature. Store layered between wax paper.

And there you have it. Wasn't that simple. And now a very happy Valentine's Day to each and every one of you precious turtles! I am just in awe of the love of God and the friends and family He has placed in my life. I pray the same is true for you.

To my fellow Northeast dwellers, I strongly encourage cuddling up with your loved ones and enjoying this beautiful snow. You could eat chocolate turtles at the same time. Score on every level.

Cheers,
näna

oodles of thanks to liagriffith.com for the super adorable tags!

2 comments:

  1. Right back atcha, darling! :)
    Chocolate turtles are my favorite - I mean, caramel, chocolate, sea salt, nuts? I can't picture anything superior. Thanks for the recipe - I'll for sure be giving it a whirl, and when I do you can count on finding an Instagram about it. Hah! ;D

    ALSO YOUR VALENTINES ARE GORGEOUS.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm. that sounds scrumptious!
    thanks for the sweet note you left in my garden walk. you're the best, my awesome anglophile. love you, dearest, and hope you have a SUPER sweet Valentines. xx

    ReplyDelete